I'm Kaoru Sato. I'm a digital creative. I make things.
I'm a digital creative and user experience expert specialising in producing beautiful and effective work for the third and public sectors and the arts, publishing and media industries.
I combine expertise in web, mobile and virtual worlds with an award-winning 16 year track record producing useful, usable and aesthetically pleasing digital solutions.
Design and build
I craft excellent digital experiences from design through to build, untilising expertise gained across multiple channels.
Graphics / identity
The aesthetics and values of your project are in safe hands with my skill and experience building brands online.
Your audiences' needs match your needs by ensuring that the usability and usefulness of my work is unparallelled.
Arts / media / publishing
Arts Council England / BFI / Camilla Staerk CSDK / Future Classics Fashion / Darkfibre Films / MM Films / SecondFest / Gentle People / Beck's Bier Art Sponsorship Programme / Artrocker.com
Jeans for Genes / British Heart Foundation / Genetic Disorders UK / Amnesty International / CGD Society / Batten Disease Family Association / Roots for Churches
Home Office / Exeter City Council / West Lothian Council / OFCOM / UK Border Agency / ITAL / Transport for London / BFI / Arts Council England (Creative Partnerships)
I've enjoyed building a fruitful working relationship since 2008. The work you do is always of an exceptional standard and your grasp of the practical issues for our organisation is only matched by your creativity and your clear and innovative thinking.— Doron Kristal, Head of Marketing Operations, Genetic Disorders UK
Kaoru is one of the most creative people I know. He is able to turn his hand to any visual creative art with ease and understand very quickly what we are looking for. The work he delivers is always original and well thought through and we use him to develop the look and feel for all our websites.— Marcus Markou, CEO, Dynamis plc / MM Films Limited
I can't recommend Kaoru enough. On my project (at Arts Council England) he was professional, friendly, rapid in response and able to get under the skin of our organisation to know exactly what we needed and then deliver it with minimal fuss.— David Armstrong, Head of e-communication and digital media, Department of Energy and Climate Change
I'm a digital creative and user experience expert.
Digital, for me, is less a technology and channel, more a way of thinking that helps people to enhance their lives through access to transformative services, goods and experiences. In that way of thinking, user experience (UX) is the tool that makes our products and designs meaningful to our users and audiences. It's a good place to work. Constantly challenging and changing.
I have a fifteen year track record in digital. I co-founded and was creative director of The Guild, a digital design and build agency that specialised in crafting exceptional user experiences across web, mobile and virtual worlds. I have agency, consultancy and freelance creative experience going back to 1995, covering web, print, digital marketing and advertising.
I've won and been shortlisted for various awards, notably PPAi, Revolution and BIMA for my work with Microsoft and Centrica. My work on the Beck's Bier website was highly regarded by both trade and mainstream press, receiving favourable notices in New Media Age (site of the week), The Observer and The Daily Star. In 2006, my weblog, the draGnet was placed among the top 50 British blogs by .net Magazine.
I also write and peform music as half of electronic rock duo Deathline.
- 2011 - present
- Self-employed digital creative / UX consultant
- Head of User Experience - PSP/Rare Digital
- 2004 - 2010
- Head of User Experience / Creative Director - The Guild
- 2001 - 2004
- Self employed digital creative
- 2000 - 2001
- Creative Director - Chemistry Communications (now Publicis Chemistry)
- 1998 - 2000
- Creative Director - TPD Interactive
- 1996 - 1998
- Designer / Senior designer - Fusion Interactive
- Higher education
- BA (Hons) Fine Art - Goldsmiths College, University of London
- Highly developed, award-winning art direction and copywriting skills
- Concept to execution skills in many media including virtual world, web, mobile, print, video and music.
- Exemplary User Experience knowledge from user requirements gathering and analysis through to design and production of Information Architecture and User Interface.
- Exceptional Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, OmniGraffle Pro for producing IA, visuals and design
- Basic PHP; knowledge of CMS systems such as Wordpress and Drupal
- Digital photography / retouching; hand illustration & cartooning; film-making skills - H/DV / Final Cut; music composition, performance, recording and production - Logic Studio.
- Articulate and astute, able to organise, influence and lead teams of creatives
- Experienced speaker at higher education institutions and professional events
- Reasonable spoken Japanese.
© 2011 Kaoru Sato. Some illustrations © their respective owners. Used with permission.